Sunday, March 2, 2008
Innate Idea of God?
I'm not sure I fully agree with the statement that God is an Innate idea that I was aware of as part of my own existence. I can much more readily see God as an idea that would have been either invented by the individual or by coming from another person. Going to Church as a boy was the first time that I learned of this all powerful being, not from me thinking to myself that something all powerful must exist who gave human beings their existence, ability to think, and able to make rational decisions. That he understands 'God' to be a substance that is, among other things, infinite seem odd that shows his own ignorance to even think to apply such a misunderstood property to something.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I both agree and disagree. To one extent, I feel that God, perhaps not in the biblical sense, but some form of God resides in the mind of most men. From the Aztecs to Egyptians to the Romans and countless others, all of these cultures independently developed their own notion of god and worship.
However, I do agree that God in modern times is a form of conditioning, and that I probably would not perceive God the way I do, if at all, if there was no outside force.
I would like to ask: what is so confused about the property of being infinite, or of applying that to God? I think that it would only make sense to apply such an property to a being who is allegedly the source of all existence- that God would have no limit to his power or of his knowledge, or (if he is good) a limit to his goodness.
The reason I bring up the infinite property is actually part of that Philosophy of Math class (and my confusion with the aleph and infinity). Talking about infinity like it is a property to apply to something as if it is quantifiable. I have no issues with this all powerful 'crazy weasel' being omnipotent & omniscient, just not infinite.
Okay gotcha- thats an interesting distinction
I completly agree that God is not an innate idea. I did not find out about this all powerful and knowing being was in churh. Its also another point that some people and societys do not believe in a god which means its not part of all people.
i disagree with locke that there are no innate ideas. i believe there has to be at least a few innate ideas. i disagree with Descartes definition of God, but i think knowing that you must learn to survive could be innnate. and knowing that you are not eternal, and that somethign exist beyond you could be innate
Post a Comment