Sunday, March 9, 2008

Inate Ideas Descartes - Locke

In looking at Locke, it seems that his view on innate ideas make much more sense to me than those that Descartes explained. They both reason that these ideas are basically placed there by 'God', and are hence fully integrated into everyones mind as part of their existence. However, Locke then goes on to say that for these ideas to be integrated into everyones mind they would have to be universally applicable. This is crazy which is basically what he finds when he goes though examples of why that is not every truly the case. Because of that, he seems to say there is no such thing as an 'Innate' idea which makes much more sense to me than Descartes need to have God be an innate idea caused by a perfect being.

5 comments:

Sandy Rizzo said...

I definitely agree that Locke's view makes more sense than Descartes. Locke actually uses logic to back up his argument rather than using God's power, like it seems that Descartes does...for every argument he makes.

Anonymous said...

I don't know i think D was right even though his reasoning was lame. To destroy innate ideas one would have to destroy objective truth. I agree people form there own idea, but that is beacuse its based off of different data and the tool their useing my be different as well. I'm supporting determinism i know, but thats all we can conclude for now.

Matthew Lorah said...

I agree with the point that descartes ideas on innate ideas is a little weak and that Locke does a better idea of talking about innate ideas and he has a real argument

Anonymous said...

how can anything be universally applicable when everything is different? one could argue our ability to think is universal, but the way we think is different between all sentient beings.

Safi's Blog said...

lool
Maute S said...

"I don't know i think D was right even though his reasoning was lame"
I dunno, i think that Locke's theory of innate ideas is questionable itself.